Caregivers don’t tend to have a lot of time to get away on a vacation or even to a spa day, so how can you work self-care into your life to preserve your well-being? I’ve rounded up 20 easy self-care activities you can do at home that take less than 20 minutes.
While you may think, I can’t even take 20 minutes for myself, I’m here to tell you, it is crucial to your health that you do so. I understand where you’re coming from. I don’t have a minute to myself from the second I get out of the shower to around 9 p.m. most days.
Unfortunately, I have seen a decline in my health when I don’t do a few things just for me and my health. It isn’t just my physical health, it is also my mental health. I am more agitated and anxious when I don’t take at least a little bit of time for myself.
While sometimes, it can be refreshing to reach out or socialize for others, caregivers spend so much time focusing on the needs of other people that these 20 minutes should be spent alone, without needing to focus attention on anyone else. Of course, if you’re not people’d out, you can take some time in your day to call an old friend or a family member or reach out to a support group.
Here is a list of 20 things you can do in 20 minutes for your well-being.
- Drink a hot cup of tea, alone, in silence.
- Keep a gratitude journal and write three things you are grateful for at the end of each day.
- Create a music playlist of your 5 favorite songs and play it either in the morning to get pumped for the day or at the end of the day to relax.
- Look through old photos (either in an album or on your phone) to reminisce about happier times.
- Do some feel-good personal grooming – paint your fingernails, file your nails and put lotion on your arms, hands and feet or do a face mask or deep hair condition.
- Read a magazine, book or a short story.
- Watch a YouTube video – pick a few funny videos, a TED talk or a meditative video.
- Pick up a coloring book, colored pencils and get to work on this soothing activity.
- Take a 20 minute nap.
- Do a crossword puzzle or play a game of Solitaire or an online game like Candy Crush or Chess.
- Write a letter to your caree or a friend.
- Read quotes by Rumi.
- Take a long, hot shower or bath.
- Sit in silence and just breathe for 5 minutes.
- Bake yourself an individual treat like a microwave mug cake.
- Have a private dance party.
- Clear out some clutter or make a clean space to feel less chaotic.
- Make a list of books to read, movies to watch or places you want to visit.
- Get yourself organized – make a to do list or figure out how to accomplish a major project.
Taking just a few minutes for yourself at home will make a big impact on your health and well-being, so go ahead, be a little selfish a few times a week.
Bonus! Here’s a list of videos to inspire, make you laugh or help you relax. Enjoy!
3 Minute Breathing Space
My Philosophy for a Happy Live (TEDx Talk) – 13 minutes
How To Live a Rich Life After Trauma (TEDx Talk) – 14 minutes
Funny Videos 2016
15 Minute Meditation Music to Relax Mind and Body
Full Body Stretches for Beginners
5 Minute Mobility and Stretch Routine